Monday, May 5, 2008

Shh! Don't tell anyone!

Laura hasn't made me go for a walk for three days!

On Saturday, Laura was out of town at a writers' conference all day. I was sad that she was away, but it meant I got to sleep all day.

Yesterday was our bird watching day. We were busy feeding the birds and then sitting very still to take photographs of them. Then Laura decided that we should have a bonfire so she could jump over it. (Don't ask me what that is all about. Fires are dangerous. I try to stay very far away from them. Humans have funny ideas though, like jumping over the first bonfire of May to ensure prosperity for the coming year. Anyhow, it got me out of having to go hiking for a second day in a row.)

Today Laura has been busy uploading our photographs to Flickr and adding new recipes to the Polyphagous Dragon and I have been trying to get caught up-to-date on Confessions of a Canine Cyber-Widow and now it is 9:45 p.m. and so far no walk.

Now, now. I don't want you to get the wrong idea. I'm not a lazy dog. Oh, no. It's just that Laura likes to hike so very far -- and she has much longer legs than me! Every day she makes me walk around the local marsh. It is a long walk and it's noisy there. The bull frogs are very loud! I'm surprised they don't scare off the red-winged blackbirds.
Red-Winged Blackbird

The marsh is full of red-winged blackbirds. Laura keeps trying to photograph them, but they are kind of shy. They hide deep in the bullrushes so you cannot see them very well, and they fly away if you get too close.

There are bunny rabbits that live at the marsh too.
What's Up Wabbit?
The bunnies are not as shy. Sometimes they join us for part of our walk -- but they don't walk the whole way with us. Bunnies have strong legs, but they understand that their legs are little and they shouldn't walk as far as Laura!

No comments: